FROM ALGIERS TO ALABAMA

When the War of Nerves is translated into history, military annals will feature not only the Maginot line and pocket battleships but a new quick-firing, self-loading weapon called the Bureau of Public Information. While Nazi planes ripped up Poland, the allied bombers buried the country-side with pamphlets. Along the Westwall, scores of victrolas blared at the French through loudspeakers: "Lay down your arms. We have no quarrel with you." From their Whitehall desks English officials are preaching to the world a poilus legend of crusade.

Not to be outdone, the French have devised a new strategy aimed at hypnotizing the enemy from the front while the right wing encircles the main body and gradually crushes it in a firm embrace. Trained at the Ecole Militaire de Hollywood, Mr. Charles Boyer has been intrusted with the command. The first move will be a nation-wide series of lectures to American women's clubs. Boyer is just the man for the job. Daladier can bully the Chambre and make it take notice. Bonnet knows his finance. Weygand can play a campaign over his morning coffee. But only Boyer can do all three and make it exciting enough to pack a women's clubhouse.

Of all historic military mancuvers, none have been so daring as this, Hannibal swept through the Alps, Schlieffen goose-stepped his Prussians around Belgium, but only Boyer is seeking his objective through the Heart. Unlike Russia's overtures to Finland, the movie-star has already won the confidence of his feminine audience. They will cling to every word as he pictures the poilu answering the call of duty just as Boyer placed his marital vows before Irene Dunne (in "When Tomorrow Comes"). They will soon become convinced that a place in the trenches is almost as glorious as a night of Boyer and Dunne facing the rising flood in a Long Island organ loft. But subtic and dangerous as his message may be, Boyer will be severely handicapped. Subtic and dangerous is the message that will be spread around the women's clubs of America. Before the French have won their first battle, Boyer will have organized a powerful lobby of women bent on sending their sons and sweethearts into European trenches.