Lowell House Master--

be married; he must have received his permanent faculty appointment, and of course ought to be old enough; he must be acceptable to the students, although just how much personal popularity counts is doubtful, and he should be approved to some extent at least by the tutors in the House.

Officially, the tutors are not said to be a factor influencing the naming of a man to the post, but it has been suggested that their collective veto would almost certainly block any appointment.

Administration Man?

There has been a good deal of discussion about whether the University will appoint an "administration man" such as David M. Little '18, Secretary to the University and Master of Adams House, or will name someone unconnected with University Hall, since some faculty members feel that the individuality of the House might be sacrificed if someone unfamiliar with House traditions, new though they are, receives the post.

Of the men mentioned as possibilities for the mastership, Richard M. Gummere '07, Director of Admissions, leads the list. Also discussed have been Dean Hanford, Mason Hammond '25, assistant professor of History and Greek and Latin, James B. Munn '12, Chairman of the English Department, Samuel H. Cross '12, professor of Slavic, Elliot Perkins '23, instructor in History and Literature, and Jerome D. Greene '96, Secretary to the Corporation. The order of the names has no bearing on the possibilities of appointment.