COMMITTEE SET UP TO GRANT PERMITS TO SPEAKERS HERE

Faculty Members and Undergraduates Will Be Appointed to Serve on Group By Conant

While reaffirming its previous decision of barring Earl Browder, Communist leader, from speaking at Harvard, the Corporation has set up a Faculty-Undergraduate committee with "wide powers" to grant and withhold permission to use University buildings, it was announced last night.

The Corporation's action in establishing the committee to be chosen from the Faculty and the Student Council followed angry demands by college organizations for reconsideration of the Browder ban.

In refusing to reconsider their prior action, the Corporation stated yesterday. "Since it is reported that his trial will take place at an early date, the Corporation has decided that no application for him to speak will be considered at this time."

Teachers' Union Protests

Preceding the announcement of the University's stand the Teachers' Union yesterday sent a resolution to Jerome D. Greene '96, Secretary to the Corporation, deploring the ban as a departure from a civil liberties tradition. The Union urged a reversal of the Corporation's original decision.

The establishment of the College committee to examine appeals for use of halls was interpreted as a partial concession to the various groups attacking the Browder ban. Appointment of the committee will be made by President Conant, an announcement of which is expected this week.

Committee Studied Question

A Corporation Committee has been studying the subject of meetings in University buildings sponsored by student organizations and has consulted members of the Faculty in reaching its latest pronouncement.

In general, the Corporation defended the wisdom of retaining the power to withhold permission for use of the buildings as "essential and proper." Pointing out that refusal will be rare, the Corporation concludes, ". . . attention is again called to the fact that Harvard has at no time adopted the policy of refusing permission to a speaker because of his party affiliations or his political views."