Hoddermen Need Experience as First Hockey Game With St. Nicks Looms

Crimson Mentor Faces Season With Entirely New Front Line Trio

One week from today the varsity hockey team squares off with St. Nicholas in the season's opener, and Coach Clark Hodder faces a difficult rebuilding task in order to present a smooth working unit by that time.

Graduation last June stripped the Crimson mentor of his outstanding line, Captain Austie Harding, Win Jameson, and Joe Patrick, and this year's forward trios will have to be drawn from relatively inexperienced lettermen. There will be no star of the first magnitude comparable to brilliant Austie Harding, but in time the Hoddermen may develop into a stubborn outfit.

Captain Coleman at Defense

Captain Bill Coleman is a fixture at right defense, the promising Junior Sherm Gray, is being groomed to fill the other defensive slot. Bob Gorham and Greeley Summers are next in line for the blue-line jobs.

Center Warren Winslow, left winger Forbes Perkins, and right winger Skip Ervin shape up as the number one Crimson offensive unit. They have been playing on the first line ever since serious practice started and are almost certain to face off against St. Nicks next Saturday. Stacey Hulse at center, Dave Eaton at left wing, and Jack Willetts at right wing have formed the second forward trie thus far.

Veteran Vint Freedley heads a strong contingent of goalies, including Fenn, Schraft, and Hanford. Freedley's proven skill in the nets should steady an otherwise untested defense, and his ability should account for at least a few upset victories this winter.

Last year's Yardling squad was below average, and as a result Coach Hodder will have to rely on inexperienced upperclassmen this season. General skating ability, however, is good, and the team has distinct possibilities for the future. A rink available for daily practice will pay dividends in developing hockey players.