Kerins Issues 5,000 Leaflets In Brookline School Campaign

Sophomore Lampoons Opponents As Charley McCarthys; Slips on Grammar

Paul Kerins '42, Sophomore Government concentrator who recently tossed a hat loaded with dynamite into the Brookline political ring and is campaigning for election to the School Committee, yesterday turned pamphleteer and distributed 5,000 mimeographed leaflets, urging the voters to "Elect Kerins for School Committee."

One of the four pages on the broadside is occupied by a cartoon depicting Chairman Ernest R. Caverly of the Brookline School Committee balancing three Charley McCarthys on his knees. The caption reads, "Curtain! Action! KERINS!!!" The cartoon was drawn by Charles M. Kerins, which fact opponents have pointed out as an indication of the widespread nepotism that will prevail if Kerins gets elected.

"Your Right" or You're Right"

Critics of the Kerins campaign to clean up Brookline education have shaken their heads gravely over the fact that there is a grammatical mistake in the cartoon: One of the Charley McCarthys is depicted saying "Your Right Mr. Caverly," whereas they maintain it should be "You're Right Mr. Caverly."

Kerins merely laughs this off as an indication of the poor training afforded by his home town high school, of which he is a product.

In a statement addressed to the voters of Brookline, Kerins attacks the "inefficient and expensive regime that today rules our school department," and reiterates that "forty-five per cent of those entering Brookline High are doomed to take five years in completing a four-year course."