Palmisters Amaze Bali Celebrators

Two Sophomores Read Debutantes' Palms at Sarah Lawrence Charity Dance

Throwing caution and the regulation seer's turban to the winds, Walter L. Hyde '41, and Edward P. Edmunds '41, both of Leverett House, climaxed their palm-reading career with a tail-coated seance at the Bali Ball in Boston's Hotel Somerset.

In a niche provided for them in a secluded nook, the two Sophomores held hands with those of the hundreds of guests who would hold hands. Before the exhausting evening was over, the weary palmisters had taken in and analyzed no less than 113 hands of alumni and guests gathered at the ball held for the benefit of Sarah Lawrence College.

Debutantes Fill Tent

Hyde and Edmund held forth in a small olive-green tent, and knuckled down to the chirosophy, or palmistry, of the evening, determining the mental aptitude, if any, of debutantes who crowded their shelter.

When questioned after the ordeal, Hyde grumbled about the speed at which he and Edmunds had to read palms. "Why, back in Minneapolis, where I come from, nobody wants palms described in a hurry. Often-times I dawdle 30 or 40 minutes over a women's hand-reading it, that is."

Edmunds, whose home is in Manila, Philippine Islands, has been studying palm-reading for nearly four years. "Although I used to eke out a hand-to-mouth existence, there is now a lot of prophet in our business," Edmunds said, as he fingered his slim moustache. "It really comes in handy, especially at the better parties."