Feild Delights Crowd With Colorful Interpretation of New Disney Artistry

500 Turned Away From Lecture On Production Technique Of Cartooning

Four hundred followers of art and Mickey Mouse yesterday afternoon crowded the confines of the auditorium in Fogg Museum to hear Robin D. Feild '30, assistant professor of Fine Arts, give the first of four lectures on the "Art of Walt Disney," entitled "The Story."

More than 500 people were turned away from the doors after seating capacity had been reached.

Feild explained and demonstrated with slides the processes involved in Disney's spectacular work in the motion picture field. "My fundamental purpose," Feild said, "is to introduce the more intimate side of Mickey Mouse and his follow-characters."

Praises Modern Art

"Disney's triumphs are what I call twentieth-century folk art," Feild told an enthusiastic audience. "His cartoons present perhaps the only universal art form in history. My efforts can only be for the greater enjoyment of his work." Feild spent much of last summer in Hollywood, California, studying the new science in talking pictures fostered by Disney.

In describing methods of production, Feild said he was not trying to unfold a wide survey of technical knowledge, but rather to picture broadly the ways in which the Disney studio plans and constructs the films.

Describes Workers

Feild first told of the working force in the studio, the artists, musicians, composers and draftsmen who effect the creation of such characters as Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Ferdinand the Bull, Snow White, and others. "More than 800 workers are in the studio," Feild explained; "all are working in productive art."

Feild's next lecture, "Layout," will be given next Thursday afternoon. Because of limited seating in Fogg Museum, locale of the talk will probably be the New Lecture Hall.