TEACHERS OATH REPEAL VOTED DOWN IN HOUSE

KIRTLEY F. MATHER LEADS FIGHT FOR FREEDOM

Lack of forceful lobbying was blamed for the surprise defeat of the Teachers Oath repeal bill in the State House of Representatives yesterday.

In spite of the 104-102 adverse vote administered by a strong legislative bloc in favor of the oath's retention, repealists prepared to make a last stand on Monday when the measure comes up for reconsideration in the House.

Vote Is Surprise Blow

The weakness of the anti-oath faction which had attempted to push the bill through to a third reading yesterday came as an unexpected blow to labor, church, and educational leaders who have pressed for repeal during the Curley law's four years of existence.

"We'll have to get busy," said Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, who has in the past carried on the strongest fight against the oath from the University front. He stated that he did not agree with Harvard's policy of taking a back seat in the struggle.

Clampit Leads Repealists

Calling the oath law "nuisance legislation," Rep, Ralph Clampit rallied the repealist forces on the floor and cried: "The real trouble with the law is that the freedom of teachers has been shackled."

Supporters of the law which requires teachers to swear allegiance to the Constitution were led by Reps. Sawyer and McCready. They were abetted by Rep. Wenzler of Boston, often called "the clown of the legislature," who roared: "Some of these professors when they get to 65 or 70--their brains are cracked." Wenzler himself is almost 60.