Faculty Men Support Bridgman On Anti-Totalitarian Ultimatum

Kicking Finds Japanese Worst Offenders in Investigation of American Techniques

With but one serious objector, the University Faculty seems united in backing the ultimatum issued yesterday by Percy W. Bridgman '04, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, banning totalitarian visitors from his laboratory.

Although opinion differs as to the advisability of the methods used, even Pitirim A. Sorokin, professor of Sociology, sole person to take issue on the statement, agreed that the plan might be applied "to all laboratories and courses dealing with problems that could be used for war."

William E. Hocking, Alford Professor of Philosophy, who originally issued a statement condemming the "closed door laboratory policy," this afternoon amended his opinion. He felt that Bridgman "had attacked a real problem." He continued, "The free advance of science is the most tangible superiority of free people. Individual scientists may well feel the responsibility that Professor Bridgman feels."

Hocking Attacks Japan

The main butt of Hocking's attack was Japan. He wondered whether we should "continue to supply her with scientific equipment to ruin her more civilized neighbor."

The most outspoken supporter of Bridgman has been George Sarton, lecturer on the History of Science. Not only backing him in word, Sarton has already acted by refusing to cooperate with Germans putting out a new encyclopedia. He summed up his feelings with the terse statement, "I entirely approve of what he did."

War Scare Stressed

The fact that devices easily applicable to the military were being developed in Bridgman's laboratory, seems to be the main factor influencing approbation of the dictum. Harold M. Westergaard, Gordon McKay Professor of Civil Engineering, himself a Lieutenant Commander, thought that the "ultimatum will have only good effects."

Following closely in the footsteps of Sarton. Frederick A. Saunders, professor of Physics, made no secret of his entire agreement with Bridgman. "I think it was about time somebody did what he did," was his comment.