Battery Candidates Report Today for First Baseball Practice of New Season

Four Veterans, Two Sophomores Head List of Hurlers; Two Returning Catchers

Potential pitchers and catchers will report this afternoon to Carey Cage to start the 1939 baseball season, the first under the newly appointed coach, Floyd Stahl.

Four veteran hurlers will be on hand at the initial drill beginning at 2:30 o'clock. The returning men are Slim Curtiss, Tom Healey, Frank Foley, and Lefty Edinburgh.

From last year's Yardlings come two men, Jack Schwede and Charlie Brackett, who alternated in the Freshman games last year. While both men were handicapped by illness at different periods, they were largely responsible for the Samborski nine's success.

The loss of Eddie Ingalls, the top Crimson hurler for three years, through graduation, will be keenly felt on this season's staff. Stahl must have at least three reliable pitchers. With the number of returning veterans and the two Sophomores, the outlook is the best in several years.

Catching presents a greater problem for the new coach. Ellie Bacon and Bob Fulton were erratic in performances last year although both showed ability. Where Stahl will find backstop replacements is a question.

Several men have been working out with Stahl all year. The first official call for all positions will not be until a meeting Tuesday night, and the first practice next Monday.