Mass Meeting on Intellectual Liberty, Democracy Slated for Lincoln's Day

Professor Chafee, Dr. McAfee, Head of Wellesley, Top List Of Speakers

Zechariah Chafee, Jr., professor at the Law School, will lead the list of speakers at a Lincoln Day program planned by New England scientists and educators next Sunday in Sanders Theatre. The program is one of a number of mass meetings to be held throughout the country on Lincoln's birthday to emphasize the American legacy of intellectual freedom and democracy and the need for preserving them.

Dr. Mildred H. McAfee, president of Wellesley College, will be the other featured speaker in the Greater Boston program which will try to point out the danger signals to American democracy that emanate from European totalitarianism.

Plans for the meeting were formulated by a group of scientists from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard, and Dr. Karl T. Compton, president of Technology, will preside.

Others speakers at the Boston meeting will be Thomas H. Eliot '28, wage and hours act administrator for New England; Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology; Ralph B. Perry, professor of Philosophy; E. J. Simmons, assistant professor of English, who will represent the Cambridge Union of University Teachers; and C. Fayette Taylor, of Technology.