Nixon Sees Double Motive in Roosevelt Labor Peace Plea

Instructor in Government Labels Politics, Reform Desire as F.D.R. Purposes

President Roosevelt's plea for reconciliation between the forces of the C. I. O. and the A. F. of L. had as its basis one altruistic motive and one selfish purpose, according to Russell A. Nixon, Instructor and tutor in Government.

"Politics with a view to the 1940 election more than anything else seems to be responsible for the President's bombshell of last Saturday," said Nixon.

Roosevelt Fears Split Vote

He attributed Roosevelt's efforts to unite the warring factions to the fact that the Chief Executive realizes that dualism in union leadership will tend both to weaken and split the Labor vote. The instructor did not doubt that William Green will throw his support as well as that of other A. F. of L. leaders with the Republican party in the coming Presidential election unless the wound in Labor ranks is healed.

Split Threatene Reforms

"Roosevelt's second principal reason for his plea for good will on the labor front was based entirely on his desire for the success of his progressive measures. Without the backing of the unions, the permanence of the Wagner Act and its prodigy, the N. L. R. B., would be in doubt," he continued.

Nixon further stated that although the disagreement over the decisions of the labor Board seems to be without backing facts, the life of the act would be in doubt unless the two workers' factions come to terms.

A. F. of L. Stated Principles

"Since the published declaration of party principles at Miami some weeks ago, there remains little doubt where the sympathies of the A. F. of L. lie. By the coalition of both groups and a possible end of the split leadership, a solid New Deal vote will be turned over by labor," added Nixon

The contrast between the definite unanimity of feeling among the rank and file members in the two groups and the conflict in leadership was emphasized by Nixon.

Green or Lewis Must Yield

"Either Green or Lewis must step out in the final settlement, and although no positive statement can be made as to which man is the more popular, it is doubtful if Green would risk his position before an open meeting of both the industrial and craft unions,' he concluded.