Stillman Forced To Close Door to Influenza Cases

Special Doctor Obtained to Treat Students Confined to Their Own Rooms

Stillman Infirmary can't treat all of the students sick with "grip' and influenza. So many students have applied for treatment that for the second time in four years the Infirmary has barred its doors and is treating students in their own rooms, the Hygiene Department disclosed yesterday.

The Hygiene Department has hired a special doctor to do the rounds in the dormitories. Most of the sickness is respiratory and there's a fairly large amount of intestinal "grip."

The great number of sick students reflects "an abnormally high incidence of respiratory cases" throughout the country, officials of the Hygiene Department explained yesterday. They insist that Cambridge has no more illness than the rest of the country. The number of cases has not yet reached epidemic proportions, the college medical staff said.

Doctors in the Hygiene Department say that students have no cause for worry over the increased amount of illness. The influenza and "grip" reported is not a virulent variety. As one doctor remarked, "If you're going to get, you're going to get, and there is no point in fussing about it."

Figures released by the Hygiene Department show the unusually large number of students treated this month. 344 students were treated in February; while only 262 were treated at the same time last year; 256 in 1937; and 240 in 1936.