Typical College Waitress Belonging To A.F.L. Speaks of Labor Problems

Says Harvard Treats Employees Fairly; Wants Closed-Shop, Raise in Wages

"We have no kick about working conditions at Harvard, but we feel that the college can and should pay us more," a House dining-hall waitress and A.F. of L. member, said yesterday concerning her local's threat to strike Monday unless the University makes certain concessions.

"Don't tell me that Harvard can't afford to pay the $18 we have asked for; it is one of the richest organizations in the country. I think they'll give us a raise because they're getting scared that they'll lose rich endowments because of their anti-labor policy."

Tells of Typical Day

She then described her working day and told what improvements she feels her union has brought. Waitresses have three periods of work: the breakfast time from 7:45 to 10:15 o'clock; lunch period from 13 to 2:15 o'clock; and dinner from 5 to 7:45 o'clock. They spend their time off in the mornings and afternoons playing bridge and sewing in the recreation rooms or resting in their own homes.

"We have an eight-hour day. Before the union began organizing us, the College made us work our sight hours at any time it wanted. Some days we would get our jobs done early and other times we would have to work until 9:30 at night. The union put a stop to all this and forced the College to give us set hours."

Because of the labor controversy last year, Harvard greatly improved the recreation rooms, she went on. New chairs and couches were bought, and a new rest room was fixed up for the bus boys.

"A main complaint we have against Harvard is that they don't help us to find work during the summer. If they're going to lay us off for three long summer months, they either ought to pay us more or find us summer jobs. Fourteen dollars a week doesn't leave us much to save for the college vacation."

Argues for Closed Shop

She added that she wished the University would agree to a closed shop. "Right now, we union girls are helping the non-union members to get better contracts from the College. I don't see why all waitresses shouldn't help to pay for our activities.

"Harvant is afraid that with a closed shop it won't be able to govern its employees. I don't think this is tree for we would still follow College orders. We would have to, or we would discredit our union and loss car jobs."