COLUMBIA OVERWHELMS CRIMSON BASKETBALLERS

LUTZ, LEGG IN STARRING ROLES FOR CANTABS

By Edwin P. Kaufman--sports editor and Columbia Spectator, (Special Dispatch to the CRIMSON)s

MARCH 1--Columbia just about duplicated its Cambridge trouncing of Harvard tonight as the Lions turned in an unimpressive victory over the Cantabs on their home court by a 55 to 36 score.

In a game that was the sloppiest seen on the New York floor this year, the Lions clung to third place in the League standings. The Blue and White had the fray their own way after the first five minutes, and Wes Fesler's men were never able to able to hold them off.

Harvard Standouts

Starring in defeat for the hapless Crimson were Charley Lutz with 12 points and sub forward Chet Legg with ten. Scoring freely and completely out-passing the Feslermen. Columbia was paced by Vad Medvedeff, Captain Tom Macioce, and Albie Meyers. The three men accounted for 35 of the 55 Columbia tallies.

Harvard led momentarily at 7 to 6, but they were then blanked for six minutes as the Morningsiders ran their total up to 21. From then on baskets were traded almost evenly until the end of the half, when Columbia led 29 to 20.

The second period started out slowly, but the Mooneymen soon found the range and also limited the visiting Crimson to seven field goals and two fouls. The home aggregation ran its lead from 40 to 32 to 55 to 34 with Lutz the only man able to count. Legg and Ruml sank free throws to end the game.