INDEPENDENT INERTIA

When a political group is formed it can immediately be judged on the basis of its expressed principles and either accepted or rejected for its theory. There was no great rallying to the colors when the Independents, erstwhile Young Conservatives, announced a conservative platform two years ago and began a wavering venture into political life. Its subsequent activities have not been encouraging to those who night have supported the conservative idea if it had gone into action with any dignity.

Instead the Independents are known for an attitude of truculent reaction and their serious efforts turn to buffoonery, as in the distasteful handling of the recent Jewish-refugees-to-Palestine drive. Constructive political theory seems to be wanting in the organization and while youth may excuse the same vice which hampers their Republican fathers, there is not even evidence of a vigorous class bias to take the place of thought.

Their methods are spectacular and press-conscious. The strategy is to get prominent men to speak on subjects which they conceive to be related to their cause, but it is impossible o discern any cause behind their eccentric gyrations. The Student Union supports a plan to bring Jewish student refugees to Harvard, and some of the Independents crack back with a plan, however commendable, to bring South American students here, as if to show that the Union has no monopoly on humanitarianism and the interests of democracy. The implication is that their policy derives from a reaction against that of the latter body.

It is difficult to imagine a practical program for conservatives since they do not have the easy grievances of radicals against the status quo, but something more than the present amateurishness of the Independents is necessary if they are to survive this college generation. Harvard is and has always been a conservative institution and is governed by its alumni. The fate of this minor political group may not be insignificant to the future of the University.