WHAT NEXT, YOUTH?

Things have come to a pretty pass! The girls are pretty and college boys are making passes at them. With the virtual disappearance of the goldfish from the university scene, the latest snatch of Americans concerns itself with the time dishonored custom of kissing in public. whether such a fad can be hailed as a sign of the advent of free love, or whether it is significant of the moral decay of our younger generation is indeed a question of the utmost import. At any rate, as one noted educator put it recently, "... it's certainly more fun than goldfish..." His views were contested by a necessarily anonymous Harvardian who protested that there was a marked similarity between the two practices.

Aside from the multiplicity of pressing questions raised by the shift in trend from man vs. beast relations to man vs. woman aggression, the serious problem raised is this: what will be Harvard's place in the new order? It is surely to be hoped that men of the crimson will prove fully as red-blooded and virile as the sons of San Jose State and B. U. But if they aren't, if a Harvard man fails to surpass the B. U. mark of 15 kisses in 15 tries, then the apprehension of the alumni, now gathered in New Orleans, will have to be considered. There will certainly be some trying moments for President Conant this weekend if a deputation of worried grads buttonholes him in the middle of a speech on tutorial problems and someone whispers anxiously, "Say, Jimmy, how're our chances for copping the new smooching record?"