NEW ELIHU ROOT ROOM AT LAW SCHOOL WILL BE DEDICATED TODAY

REPRESENTATIVES OF LAW SCHOOL, AND BAR TO ATTEND

Henry L. Stimson, former Secretary of State, Elihu Root, Jr., New York attorney, and Dean James A. Laudis of the Law School, will head-line the list of speakers at the formal dedication of the Elihu Root Room in the Law School Library this afternoon at Langdell Hall.

Attending, the ceremonies by invitation will be representatives of the Law School Class of 1913 and the Harvard Law School Association, members of the Boston Bar, and faculty and students of the Law School.

An Informal Reading Room

The new room at the Law School Library, commemorating the services to the law of the late Elihu Root, was made possible by gifts from Mr. Stimson, the Harvard Law School Association, and the Law School Class of 1913. Designed as an informal reading room for students, the Root Room contains current magazines, current government publications of interest to lawyers, and books of biography, history, government, and fiction, and other volumes giving general background on the law.

The book collection, the gift of the Class of 1913, will be known as the John C. Gray Collection, in memory of a former member of the Law School faculty. For the purpose, a wing of the Law School library reading room was entirely redecorated and refurnished so far as possible in the manner of a home library. The architect was John W. Ames, Harvard '92, of Cambridge, Mass.

Root Was Secretary of State

Elihu Root, who died in 1937, was one of the greatest of American international lawyers. He was Secretary of State under President Theodore Roosevelt, United States Senator from New York 1909-15, Member of the Permanent Court of Arbitration at the Hague from 1910 until his death, President of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace 1910-25, Nobel Peace Prize Winner in 1912, and diplomatic representative of the United States in many capacities.

Throughout his career he was active in New York state, national, and international law associations. He was awarded an honorary degree of LL.D. by Harvard in 1907.