Tutoring School Agent Offered $25 to Official of University for Class Listings

Offer Attested to be Records Office Employee; Monitors Also Approached

A University official was offered a $25 bribe by an agent of tutoring school for class lists, it was revealed yesterday by Mrs. Peters, Secretary in the Records office in charge of class attendance.

The offer was similar t others made to monitors by the schools in an effort to secure names of students in courses for their mailing lists. Monitors are instructed each year to keep the lists confidential.

Without class lists, tutoring schools can only make announcement of reviews and prepared notes through blanket letters to all undergraduates.

Cajole Innocent Monitors

According to the Records office, a number of methods of obtaining course enrollment lists are employed by the schools, in addition to the bribing of officers and monitors. Some monitors are "innocently cajoled" by agents into revealing the names of the students.

Most common method of securing the lists is to copy the sheets posted for the assignment of lecture seats or sections. A possible solution suggested by the authorities was to instruct monitors to have these lists posted before and after classes only when they can be watched by the monitors. Some courses leave the sheets unwatched for long periods of time.

Mrs. Peters also suspects tutoring schools of rifling class room drawers or breaking open absence report boxes in the college halls. To prevent these practices, it was suggested that Faculty men discontinue the habit of leaving lists in the classroom and that janitors be instructed to watch the report boxes.

Cant's Send Cards

It was not deemed practical to adopt for all courses the method of History I, which mails section assignments to all its students. Officials pointed out that the college's clerical staff is already overworked, and the added task of mailing cards of every course twice a year would be inadvisable. Also pointed out was the probability that undergraduates would misplace their cards, resulting only in confusion. According to Reginald H. Phelps '30, dean of Records, monitors will be called together, at the beginning of each academic year and following midyears. At these meetings, they will be instructed to keep the lists secret; it will then be left to their personal integrity.