College Gives $16,642 to Members of Faculty for Research in Social Sciences

Social Security, Labor, Public Administration, Prices to Be Investigated

Under grants totalling $16,642 awarded by the Committee on Research in the Social Sciences, members of the faculty during the coming year will investigate social security, labor, public administration, commedity distribution, prices, and other subjects in economics and sociology.

The Committee, established in 1932 to administer funds received mostly from the Rockefeller Foundation for research in the Social Sciences, has announced the following grants for this year:

In the field of "Social Security", Edwin Frickey, associate professor of Economics, "A Survey of Time Series Analysis and its Relation to Economic Theory;" and Seymour E. Harris, associate professor of Economics, "Economics of Social Security."

In the field of "Commedity Distribution and Prices," Edward S. Mason, professor of Economics, "Problems of Monopoly and Competition."

In the field of "Labor", Lloyd G. Reynolds, instructor in Economics, "Problems in the Relation between Wage Rates and Prices;" and Summer H. Slichter, professor of Business Economics, "Union-Management Cooperation in Selected Industries."

In the field of "Public Administration". John D. Black, Henry Lee Professor of Economics, "Land Utilization in Worcester Country;" Harold H. Burbank, David A. Wells Professor of Political Economy. "Taxation of Property and Income;" A. Lincoln Gordon, instructor in Government, "Economic Planning in New Zealand;" and Richard Abel Musgrave, instructor in Economics, "A Comparative Study of Systems of Business Taxation in the United States, England, Sweden and Holland."

Miscellaneous grants went to John D. Black; Elizabeth W. Gilboy, John A. Guthrie, Gottfried Haberler, Joseph A. Schumpeter, Carle C. Zimmerman, and George K. Zipf.