UNIVERSITY ACTS TO RESTRICT TUTORING

No Half-Way Measures

Yesterday, the representatives of the Harvard faculty challenged the existence of organized educational vice. The challenge was framed in the staid and conservative expressions of those who rightly value their great responsibilities. This does not rob it of its significance. The very fact of the action, and the implications which lie so obviously within the guarded words of the Council's statement, mark it as a milestone.

Never before has the University expressed official and definitive opposition to commercialized tutoring. Never before has it even faced the evil openly. Its attitude has been one of scolding disapproval, and this inarticulate and inconsistent. Now, in blanket terms which leave no outs, it has condemned the cram parlors of the Square. "Commercial tutoring . . . rests upon a false theory of education and certain practices exert a harmful influence." Harvard has leveled moral sanctions against the use of tutoring schools.

To make good the challenge, the University has immediately taken the field. It has led with an attempt to cut off the sources of information and supply to the tutors. As a vast extension of the previous rule regarding scholarship holders, it has decreed that no students shall be employed by the Massachusetts Avenue schools. This rule will be a vital link in Harvard's chain of action. In itself, it will strike a heavy blow at the tutoring bureaus--just how stunning the proprietors alone know. It must be enforced; and a cooperative attitude from the students, together with ruthlessness on the part of University officials are capable of doing this.

But by far the greatest significance of yesterday's statement is the fact that the mountain has begun to move. These actions alone are guerilla tactics; they harry but do not destroy. Commercialized tutoring will not quit Harvard because of such negative steps. There has been a beginning only; there must be a great deal more to follow.

The key to future official policy lies in the following words: "In so far as any work done by commercial tutoring schools is defensible . . . (it) should be provided by the College itself or under its direction." In simple terms, Harvard proposes to do its own tutoring. One happy day, the vicious practices and the farcical education of big-time, high-pressure cramming will have passed from the Square.

So much for the ideal. The details of the course of action remain to be outlined, and these will prove hugely difficult. For one, the University proposes rapidly to extend on a large scale its existing facilities for supervision and guidance. This is hardly enough. This would amount to the institution of tutoring merely to compete with that in the Square; and not even on equal terms, since its scope would be more limited.

Coupled with competition, there must be direct pressure on the commercial schools. Direct pressure is the only insurance of their passing; they will not simply atrophy because of competition. It can take a variety of forms: law-suits, contact with parents and prep schools, efforts to have all other student publications cease advertising, steps to make class lists and especially lists of freshmen inaccessible. All of these must be pursued. As a final trump, there is the possibility of direct pressure on the students themselves to stop tutoring in the Square.

Above all, the University must recognize the importance of what it is attempting. This is a death-struggle. Harvard has staked her reputation and soundness against the existence of the cram parlors. If they emerge from it they will be all the stronger, and perhaps impregnable for the future. The drive to meet their challenge must be vigorous and sustained.