SECOND TIME ROUND

The first selection for the Houses having been made, the second selection remains, possibly more difficult to apply for than the first. To aid in solving this dilemma for those rejected on their first try, it is necessary to clarify certain points which seem to have caused some confusion, both about the application and the associate member plan.

As the matter stands, there is an unfortunate division of opinion among the Housemasters about the wisdom of rearranging first and second choice of Houses between the first and second application. For the Freshman is placed in a difficult position in not knowing how each Housemaster will react if he changes his second choice to first in his later application. It may even be wisest to refrain from naming any House in the second application.

Also important for those not admitted to Houses is the fact that associate members of the Houses will be expected to use the first vacancy that occurs, if it is at all possible for them to do so. That is to say that associate membership is only a stop-gap until full membership can be granted. This is to be understood by all who are admitted to associate membership. And for the benefit of those refused admission nothing less can be done than to notify them of that fact in June rather than wait until September when many rooming--houses are full. Supposedly the lack of guidance of Freshmen is proverbial; it does them no good to be left with the thought of having no roof over their heads.