BARNABYMEN LOSE 8-7 HEARTBREAKER TO ELIS

Eli Punch in Bottom of Lineup Decides Match; Netmen Take Three Out of Five Doubles

Six singles defeats in ten matches were too much for a fighting Crimson tennis team to overcome in the doubles contests, and they went down to a heartbreaking 8 to 7 defeat in New Haven on Saturday afternoon.

For the Barnabymen, Dave Burt and Captain Langdon Gilkey again turned in standout performances as they disposed of their singles opponents and teamed together for victory in the No. 1 doubles bout. Jack Stewart and Homer Peabody turned in the other Crimson singles wins, but the margin of victory for the Blue came in the bottom of their lineup where they showed unusual strength.

At one stage in the afternoon, the Crimson trailed 7 to 3, but they ralied gamely to knot the count finally at 7-all as the Muther-Palfrey due won the third doubles engagement. Failing with match point on their Eli rivals twice in the second set, the Lyell-Peabody team was finally beaten in the third set of a dramatic match to make the score 8 to 7.

Again it was Eli strength in the tall end of the lineup which was all-important as they took the last two doubles points. In a nine point affair, the Crimson would have won 5 to 4.