Amherst and Michigan Are New Teams On Harvard's 1940 Football Schedule

Lord Jeffs Will Be Opener for Harlowmen; Rejuvenated Wolves Next

William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, has announced an eight game season which includes three changes from the teams which the 1939 gridders will face.

Amherst and Michigan are the two new colleges to appear on the Crimson football bill of fare one year hence, and he Brown Bruins reappear on the schedule after a season's absence. Brown replaces the University of New Hampshire on Nov. 16 and Oct. 12 Michigan fills the gap left by the conclusion of the Chicago series--and then some!

Amherst and Penn

In 1940 the Purple and White of Amherst College replaces 1939 opener Bates, bringing the challenge of the Little Three conference to Harvard, ancient Big Three standard-bearer. On Nov. 5 Varsity football schedule for the 1940 the Harlowmen wind up their two game series with the University of Pennsylvania. The first of these contests is to be played at Cambridge this fall, and other at Philadelphia.

Michigan's Fritz Crisler and his 1940 Wolverine football machine make their Harvard debut on Soldiers Field on Oct. 12. The Sophomore football crop at Ann Arbor was far above average last fall, and by 1940 these lads will be shooting for mythical national honors. Year in and year out, the Big Ten produces some of the best football in the land, and in 1940 the rejuvenated Wolves will be as burly as any of their conference rivals.

Brown Comes Late

The West Point Cadets appear on the 1940 schedule on Oct. 19, followed on the succeeding Saturday by another Dartmouth invasion. Another interesting feature of the 1940 playing dates is that Brown makes its bow in Cambridge on Nov. 16, just one short week before the traditional Yale encounter.

The 1940 schedule:

Oct. 5 Amherst at Cambridge

12 Michigan at Cambridge

19 Army at Cambridge

26 Dartmouth at Cambridge

Nov. 2 Princeton at Cambridge

9 Pennsylvania at Philadelphia

16 Brown at Cambridge

23 Yale at New Haven

The 1939 schedule already released is:

Oct. 7 Bates at Cambridge.

14 Chicago at Chicago

21 Pennsylvania at Cambridge

28 Dartmouth at Cambridge

Nov. 4 Princeton at Princeton

11 Army at Cambridge

18 New Hampshire at Cambridge

25 Yale at Cambridge