TARHEELS TOP NETMEN IN CLOSE CONTEST 5 TO 4

CRIMSON DROP TWO OUT OF THREE DOUBLES MATCHES

Gaining a three-three split in the singles but dropping two out of the three doubles matches, the Varsity netmen went down to a 5 to 4 defeat at the hands of the powerful University of North Carolina squad on the Divinity courts yesterday afternoon.

For the Crimson, dependable Dave Burt came through with a straight set victory, 6-2; 6-3 over Charley Ryder; and Captain Gilkey turned in another well-played match in subduing Carol Rood, 9-7; 6-2. John Palfrey made it three in a row for the Barnabymen with a three-net win over his Tarheel opponent.

The next three matches, however, were swept by the visitors, with Walt Muther, Chet Legg, and Jack Stewart going down to defeat in straight set affairs. The Crimson due of Burt and Gilkey came through in two sets, 6-3; 6-4 over the number one Tarheel combination, but Palfrey and Muther lost. Art Brooks and George Goodwin dropped the other doubles bout.

The set scores in that number three doubles match were 10-8; 9-7, and that just about represents the difference between the two squads. When the Crimson are able to insert a bit more punch in the tail end of their lineup, they ought to win against top-flight competition.

The next match for the team is on Friday afternoon against Williams at Williamstown.