Leaders Inactive on E.I.L. Baseball Front; Cornell Secure in First Place

Yale Extends Victory Streak to Three in Row; Hill Tied For Batting Lead

While the pace-setters were idle because of examinations and other academic duties, second division teams in the Eastern Intercollegiate League had all the play to themselves last week, and an improved Eli nine nosed out Princeton in a tight pitchers' battle to move up to fourth place in the standings.

In the only other contest on the week's card, Penn shut out Columbia as its Sophomore right hander, Tony Caputo, turned in a one-bitter, but the Red and Blue remained in sixth place. It was the season's finale for the Lions, who finished in the League cellar.

Yale Improves

Rated as one of the title contenders before the schedule started, Yale was an early season disappointment, but of late the Blue have begun to click. They have extended their winning streak to three straight. The triumph over Princeton was the first meeting between the two clubs, and was achieved behind the six-hit twirling of Moe Jublitz, veteran southpaw.

Pennsylvania's Caputo was in fine form as he administered a neat coat of whitewash to the hapless Lions and tied the one-hit pitching performances record established earlier this spring by Tom Healey. Healey's masterpiece was also chalked up against those same Lions.

Hill Hits .452

The most important item in the races for individual leadership was recorded by Mark Hill, Tiger outfielder, who got two hits in four trips to the plate against Yale and gained a tie with George Polzer of Cornell in the Charles H. Blair bat competition for individual batting supremacy. Each has a mark of .452, but Polzer is actually out in front by a fraction of a point. Lupien is third with a .432 average 16 hits in 37 times at bat.

The schedule is again pretty slack for the week with Princeton being slated to play Pennsylvania at Philadelphia in the only League game. Bix Six in League Player  AB  R  H  Ave. Polzer, Cor.  42  10  19  .452 Hill, P.  31  4  14  .452 Lupien, H.  37  9  16  .432 Bowen, Cor.  28  5  12  .429 Besse, Y.  27  2  11  .407 Trexler, Pa.  35  6  14  .400