14 REFUGEES FROM EUROPEAN TURMOIL ARRIVE TO STUDY

Come From Germany, Czechoslovakia, Austria; Several Have Trouble in Entering U.S.

Despite the European turmoil 14 refugees from Naziland have arrived in Cambridge to study with the aid of the refugee scholarship fund established last year, according to a statement made last night by Charles Ennis '40, Chairman of the Refugee Committee.

These refugees have received scholarships provided by the $30,000 fund raised last year; $20,000 was raised by voluntary contributions and $10,000 was donated by the University.

Various Nationalities

Six are Czechs, five hail from former Austria, and the other three from Germany. Six of the refugees are undergraduates, one is in the Medical School, and the rest are in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

The Refugee Committee received 170 applications from various parts of Greater Germany. Many of the applications came through the International Students Service, but several were also received by means of underground agents and indirect sources in America.

The scholarship holders were selected by a committee of faculty members on the basis of a synthesis between academic ability and financial need. The committee believes that all the recipients have had scholastic records abroad equivalent to Dean's list at Harvard.

Special Visas

Many of these students experienced difficulty in getting out of Germany because of United States immigration quotas which have been filled for two years ahead, and special visas had to be procured. Several barely missed being conscripted into war jobs. The others were already in America before the August crisis.

Several more refugees are expected in the near future but since communication with Germany has been disrupted the exact number that will arrive is indefinite.