AIR COURSE RELAXES PHYSICS REQUIREMENT

U.S. TO TEACH 50 STUDENTS HERE HOW TO FLY

Relaxation of the physics requirement for admission to the government's airplane flight instruction program was announced today by Dean Harald M. Westergaard, chairman of the University flight committee.

"A limited number of students who have not completed a formal course in physics will be admitted," the Dean said. Earlier announcements had specified a requirement of completion of Physics B or C or the equivalent.

Applications for the flight training, which will qualify students as private pilots, will be received until Saturday noon in Pierce Hall 212.

72 Hours Ground Work

Applicants must be American citizens, aged 18 to 25, in good standing at Harvard, in good physical condition, with excellent eyesight, and no previous solo flying experience. The non-credit course, sponsored jointly by Harvard and the Civil Aeronautics Authority, includes 72 hours of ground course, and 35 to 50 hours in the air.

The Civil Aeronautics Authority announced today that Harvard's allotment in the national program of training 10,000 student civilian pilots this year will be "not less than fifty."

Regular charges for the course will be $40, but certain reductions will be made in the case of scholarship students. It was estimated that the training would cost up to several hundred dollars under private auspices.

Purpose of government sponsorship of the instruction, conducted in cooperation with universities throughout the country, is to stimulate the growth of private flying, and to provide a reservoir of trained pilots for the national defense.