U. S. CIVIL SERVICE OFFICER TO EXPLAIN GOVERNMENT'S JOBS

Government Hopes to Draw Talented Students into Service by Offering Inducements

Opportunities for students to enter the government service will be explained in a talk by a representative of the Civil Service Commission Wednesday afternoon, it was announced yesterday.

As a part of a program initiated this year by the United States Government to acquaint students in leading colleges with the prospects offered by the Service, E. J. Stocking, Principal Examiner of the Civil Service Commission, will speak at an open meeting on Wednesday at 2 o'clock in Sever 11.

Jobs Well Paid, Interesting

"It is hoped that through the proposed information service we will be able to interest in competitive examinations the highest qualified and best trained persons," declared Harry B. Mitchell, president of the Commission, in a letter to President Conant written in support of the plan.

"The program may lead to well-compensated and interesting lines of public service," he continued. "It is believed that the government service, properly understood, will challenge the interest of such individuals."

Departure From Policy

The fact of the Government's assuming the initiative is a departure from its previous policy, according to Donald H. Moyer, assistant director of the Alumni Placement Service, who has been responsible for making the arrangements for the talk.

"We have been besieged annually by questions on what opportunities the Government offers," he said. "This year, after Stocking's speech there will be an opportunity for questions on any subject on which he has not touched."

Mitchell announced in his letter that the Civil Service is currently placing emphasis on employment of persons in the junior professional grades. Competitive examinations in several specialized fields will be announced very shortly, he said.