Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

EDWARD S. HARKNESS

Harvard hears with deep regret of the death of Edward S. Harkness, a sympathetic and modest patron of American education for the past twenty years. At a time when the expansion of endowed universities seemed to have reached a standstill, it was Mr. Harkness's far-sightedness and generosity which made it possible for Harvard, and shortly thereafter, Yale, to institute the housing systems which have made and are making such a great contribution to undergraduate life.

Not only will educators long remember his great munificence; but they will also remember the charm with which he gave. Never a seeker after personal glory, his gifts were made quietly and unostentatiously. He shunned public notice, would never make a speech, and conscientiously refused to grant interviews. However, the concrete memorials of his service will keep his name alive much longer than could any temporary burst of popular recognition.