Law Professors Favor Complete Aid to China

Urge Embargoes on Japanese Imports And Exports, Use of Singapore Base

Economic warfare against Japan through embargoes on exports and imports and the granting of all possible aid to China was advocated by eleven law professors in a letter issued yesterday. While put out through the Harvard Defense Group, the statement does not represent the policy of that group.

The letter declared that we should take initiative to "thwart the gangster nations before they have nourished themselves by conquest into a condition of unprecedented and irresistible strength."

It advocated extension of unlimited credit to China, holding it better to extend credit gratis than sacrifice "not only our munitions but also the lives of our young men." At the same time it stood for an embargo on raw materials against Japan.

Suggests Taking Singapore

Finally it suggested that the United States arrange with Great Britain to share or assume control of the Singapore naval base and other British bases in the East so that the Japanese conquest of the East Indies from distant bases would be a practical impossibility.

Heading the group making the statement was Dean Landis. Others included Warren A. Seavey '01. Bussey Professor of Law, Barton W. Leach, professor of Law, Livingston Hall, professor of Law, Eldon R. James professor of Law. Edward Thurston '98, professor of Law, James A. McLaughlin, professor of Law. A. James Casner, Visiting Lecturer in Law, Philip W. Thayer '14, research assistant in Comparative Law, F. Merrick Dodd '80, professor of Law, and George K. Gardner '12, professor of Law.