LINE POSTS SET FOR WOLVERINES

Coach Harlow Works Out With Team In Yesterday's Dummy Scrimmage

By David B. Stearns

The Fritz Crisler-Dick Harlow coaching rivalry which is now deadlocked at one apiece and one tie is scheduled to break anew on Saturday with Crisler the top-heavy favorite to add another victory to his side of the ledger. BUT, if yesterday's practice session on Soldiers Field is any indication, Harlow and his team are definitely in the fight, willing to concede nothing to the highly publicized Maize and Blue outfit.

As the Crimson team went through its third snappy two and one-half hour workout in the past three days, building up its defense against Michigan plays and drilling on passes and punting under pressure, Mentor Harlow was right in the center of the activity instilling the all-important elements of fight and hustle into the squad.

Harlow Plays Defense

In the dummy scrimmage, he alternately called plays and held one of the bags to ascertain whether or not his linesmen were charging with enough punch. When hit viciously by two blockers and bowled over into the dirt on one play, he picked himself up, evidently well satisfied on that score.

Of the line, slated to start against Tom Harmon and associates only Chub Peabody who has a boil was absent from yesterday's rehearsal. Jim Aldrich, as a result went up to the first string for the day.

The rest of forward bulwark which is set for the starting whistle on Saturday consists of Loren MacKinney, left end, Pete Elser, left tackle; Lone Star Dietz, center; Don Lowry, right guard; Tom Gardiner, right tackle and Joe Koufman, left end.

Waldstein vs. Brown

The tussle for the fourth backfield position is still undecided with Mort Waldstein, who has been playing the spot for the last two practices, ruled a slight favorite over Bill Brown.

In an effort to strengthen the reserve tackle positions, two sophomores, Dave Glass and Steve Durwood, who turned up for practice late last fall were tried in the second string right tackle berth yesterday. Neither of the two started for the Yardlings against Yale last year but both of them won their letters in the game. Durwood was converted to tackle from fullback.

Mel Gordon, Franny Lee's understudy at wingback, due to a sore muscle did not take an active part in yesterday's session although he should be ready to go by Saturday. Ray Guild, a sophomore was given a shot at the post temporarily