MEMBERS OF FACULTY, CLERGY WILL ADVISE WAR OBJECTORS

From Two Committees To Help Students, Faculty In Draft

Formation of two boards, one composed of faculty members, the other of Harvard Square ministers, to aid and advise students who feel that they fall into the class of "conscientious objectors," was announced yesterday.

An Advisory Committee on Civil Rights has been formed by a group of professors including Zachariah Chafes, Jr. Langdell Professor of Law; Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology; and Arthur N. Holcombe, professor of Government, to provide information and to give legal advice concerning the Selective Service Act.

Nine ministers also banded together to organize a separate committee to give advice to "objectors." Most of the churches which they represent have gone on record in recent years that they would defend the rights of those opposed on grounds of conscience to military service, and so the newly formed committee is simply following out the announced policy of the churches.

According to the terms of the draft bill, a person "who, by religious training and belief, is conscientiously opposed to participation in war in any form" in defined as a conscientious objector and is set subject to "combatant training and service in the land and naval forces of the United States."

All Must Register

However, this does not mean that such an objector is excused from registering, and the faculty Civil Rights Committee is urging all men to register no matter what their beliefs, not only because failure to do so will cause heavy penalties but also because any such failure will prevent later claims for exemption.

Instead of being subject to military service, conscientious objectors may be assigned to non-combatant service as defined by the President, or, in the case of men who are conscientiously opposed to participation in such service, they may be assigned to work of national importance under civilian direction.

When registering next Wednesday a man may if he wishes endorse his card as an objector. However, this is not necessary as all men will be sent a questionnaire which will contain a section to be filled out by the men who opposes war on religious grounds.

Draft Boards Will Determine

It will be up to the local draft boards to determine whether or not a man actually is a conscientious objector. There is, however a right of appeal to the Draft Appeal Board if the local board decides unfavorably.

Although the President has not yet decided on what will constitute non-combatant duties, a good idea can be obtained from the list designated in that class by President Wilson in 1917. Among the tasks were service in the Medical Corps and service in the Quartermaster Corps, including such jobs as veterinary hospitals, bathing and laundry services, map-making, and forestry service.

Other Committees

Other members of the Civil Rights Committee besides Professors Chafee, Mather, and Holcombe include Morris B. Lambie, professor of Government; Henry J. Cadbury, director of the Andover Harvard Theological Library; and Raymond Dennett, Graduate Secretary of P.B.H.

The members will held office hours today, Monday, and Tuesday from 4 to 6 o'clock and by appointment. The Committee expects to be available to members of the various faculties as well as to students.

The ministers and their telephone numbers are as follows:

Rev. Everett K. Bray, Church of the New Jerusalem (Swedenborgian),-- --Kir. 7095.

Rev. Newton C. Fetter, Minister to students for the Old Cambridge Baptist Church,--Tro. 7633, or Kir. 2494.

Rev. Hamilton M. Gifford, Minister of the Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church,--Kir. 5350.

Rev. Frederic B. Kellogg, Chaplain to Episcopal students, Christ Church,--Tro. 0201.

Rev. John H. Leamon, Minister of the First Church in Cambridge, (Congregational),--Kir. 2724.

Rev. Samuel II. Miller, Minister of the Old Cambridge Baptist Church,--Tro. 8147.

Rev. Lesile T. Pennington, Minister of the First Church in Cambridge, (Unitarian),--Tro. 1868.

Rev. Henry Robbins, Assistant Chaplain to Episcopal students, Christ Church, --Tro. 0201.

Mr. George A. Solleck, Executive Secretary of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers),--Tro. 6883.