RUSSIAN GIVES LIFE TO SOCIALISM, PLEDGES ALLEGIANCE TO STALIN

Alexander Meyendorff Hopes to Further Amity With Soviet

"My whole life is dedicated to the building of Socialism and the Soviet Union," Baron Alexander Meyendorff, a white Russian working here for his Ph.D., stated yesterday.

"Russia wants the friendship of all peoples, whether German, British, American, or Japanese. It has no colonies to worry about. We will not interfere with the struggle for markets, prestige, and power among the various nations of the world."

Meyendorff, who is a relative of Princo Ussupov, the assassin of Rasputin, expressed "confidence in the leadership of Russia. Nowadays a leader must be supported by a majority of the people, especially the poorer classes, must be a good Marxist, and must have talent, Stalin has all three."

Bessarabia is Russian

As for Bessarabia, the Russian commented that it "has always been part of Russia and was taken away when we were weak. We asked for its return and a satisfactory agreement was made.

"Also parts of Poland inhabited by Russians and Ukrainians and unjustly taken from us when we were defenseless have been reclaimed into the Soviet Union."

Referring to the annexation of the Baltic countries, Meyendorff asserted that it was "a continuation of the Civil War. Whole regiments in the Red Army were composed solely of Latvians, who gained a reputation of bravery fighting on all fronts including Siberia and the South."

Finns Cannon-Fodder

As for the war with Finland, the ex-Baron blamed "those who wanted to use the Finns as cannon-fodder to weaken the Soviet Union."

The Russian commented that the internal policy of the United States is no business of Russia, and whether the United States becomes communistic or not is up to the people of America themselves.

In reference to the recent stories in the newspapers concerning a possible effort by the U. S. to prevent Russian help to Japan, Meyendorff pointed out that Russia's exports to Japan are practically nil and that 80% of Japan's imports come from the U. S.

He expressed the sincere hope that the United States will be friendly to Russia and that he can help to straighten out all the "misrepresentations of Russia in this country."

Meyendorff left Russia in 1921 at the age of eleven and stayed in France for six years, after which he came to America and received his B.S. and M.S. at the University of California. He has been trying to get back to the Soviet Union for five years, but has been unable to secure a visa "because of the international situation."

Although a White Russian by birth, he no longer sympathizes with them, disdaining their "worthless lives." They have nothing to give their people, and they are enjoying life in the most unproductive manner. I have come to the conclusion that they have nothing in mind but their own interests and luxuries."