MEDICAL SCHOOL GROUP AGITATES FOR BETTER MEALS AT LOWER PRICES

Restaurant Offers Cheaper Rates

While the Business School was instituting its second self-sevice restaurant which will provide breakfasts and lunches at low cafeteria rates, the Medical Student Council renewed its drive last week for better food at lower prices in the Medical School Dining Hall.

Despite a report published by the Medical Student School Council last spring criticizing the quality and cost of meals and accusing the Vanderbilt Dining Hall staff of using inefficient methods in preparing food, meal prices for medical students were sizably increased this fall.

Dinners Up Ten Cents

Dinners which formerly were 65 cents will now cost 75 cents, though a second 60 cent rate has been instituted this fall for special cheaper dinners. With a special 40 cent rate for light lunches, 55 cents is now being charged for luncheons which last year sold for 50 cents.

Heading the group which is investigating the Dining Hall situation, Sidney Cobb '38, 3M., expressed irritation yesterday that Dining Hall authorities had instituted the new board rates without informing the Student Council or the Faculty Committee which had been working with it.

The Student Council is pleased that is recommendations for cheaper light meals had been adopted by the University and hopes that E. J. Walsh, who will continue his investigations of the College Dining Halls this year, will find some way of improving the quality and cutting down the price of Medical School food.

Self Service Popular

Located at Gallatin Hall, the new Business School self-service restaurant was established this fall because of the popularity of the Chase Hall restaurant which was started along similar lines at the end of last winter. According to Assistant Dean Harris, more than 50 per cent of Business School students use the self-service restaurant.

All of the five Business School dining halls use student waiters and bus boys exclusively. The student waiters do their job efficiently and "many of them prefer it to other kinds of work." Dean Harris said. "The other students don't object to student waiting the slightest bit."

So far College authorities have not acted upon a Student Council proposal that student waiters be employed this year as an experiment is one or two of the Houses. Aldrich Durant '02, business manager of the University, said recently, "Student waiting is a matter of University policy which must be decided by the administration and the House masters."