Steve Mallett Elected Captain of '44 Eleven

Big Left Tackle Played Two Years at Kimball Union Before Coming Here

Stephen P. Mallett, Jr. '44, will lead the Freshman football team in its two remaining games of the season. Mallett, who lives in Stoughton Hall and come from West Newton, was chosen in an election yesterday to captain Chief Boston's charges.

Since the beginning of the year Steve has been in the thick of a four-sided battle for a tackle berth, in which he won a starting position for the last two games. Although he did not start the Exeter game, he played over half of it and has since then seen almost continuous service. In the Freshmen's 20 to 0 victory over Andover, Steve was chosen by Boston to be acting captain.

Strong on Defense

The big captain is twenty years old, tips the scales at 190, and stands six feet three. From his position he has played a slashing game which has featured the Yardling defense throughout the season.

Steve came to Harvard from Kimball Union Academy in Meredith, New Hampshire, where he played tackle on the football team for two years. Besides his gridiron activities he has tried his hand at skiing and tennis and is considered a hopeful for Jaako Mikkola's track team.