WIDENER WORKERS SOOTHE SIDEWALK SUPERINTENDENTS, SERIOUS SCHOLARS

Plush Peephole Promised Peepul By Progressive Planner I. B. Parkhurst

To appease undergraduate sidewalk architects, University workmen within the next few days will open a screened window in the fence on the Quinsy Street side of the new library construction project. Through this passers-by will have a complete view of the excavation work.

"They asked for peep holes, but we will provide them with a plush side-walk club where they can keep a check on our work." Irving B. Parkhurst, assistant business manager in charge of Building and Grounds said yesterday.

Because of recent dry weather, the work is progressing under very favorable conditions. Parkhurst said, adding that the excavations should be completed within the next few days. The University construction gang is using 10 trucks and a "steam" shovel to remove the 10,000 cubic feet from the pit, which will be 28 feet deep on its Quiney Street side and 21 feet deep on the Widener side.

The earth which is removed from the pit is being carried away to the Business School and Soldiers, where it is being used for filling in an old cellar and leveling off a parking place.

Next week, when the excavating will be completed, workmen will construct the wooden forms for the cement walls. A few days later the din of concrete mixers will begin. Consisting of three floors, the basement will house rows upon rows of stacks. Each floor is seven feet, six inches high, an easy height for reaching books.

Contracts for constructing the interior have not yet been signed. Parkhurst said, because officials haven't decided whether to weld or hold the building's framework. The cheapest method of construction, riveting, has been banned because of the noise, which according to Parkhurst would cause the resignation of every professor working in Widener.

Making every effort to eliminate unnecessary noise, the University hired gasoline justead of the usual steam shovels. Compressed air tools will probably have to be used in cutting the holes in the Widener will for the bridge and funnel connecting Widener with the new building. If possible, workmen will do that part of the job during Christmas vacation, so that the noise of the sir cutters will not disturb classes.