HERE'S ONE FOR THE BOOKS

Undergraduates can look forward to getting a lot of good clean fun out of the new rare book library in the Yard.

In the first place, the contents of the Treasure Room in Widener are to be moved to the new edifice to "relieve in part the critical shortage of space in Widener." That Treasure Room situation has been an open scandal for years. On rainy afternoons it's so packed with Freshmen that you can't get within whistling distance of "Lady Chatterley's Lover," unexpurgated edition. Now there'll be lots of room for that sort of thing.

In the second place, the building will extend down three stories below the surface of the Yard, and will be capable of "indefinite expansion through underground additions." This will make it easily convertible into a bomb proof shelter, and it might even be used as a special subway station for Harvard men only.

Of course there's one fly in the ointment. It's a little tough that wealthy anonymous donors seldom seem to give large sums of money for more and better teachers to keep the tutorial system from dying on its feet. A fireproof and air-conditioned library, 55 by 120 feet and conforming with the prevailing architecture of the Yard, is much solider and more enduring than a new tutor. But perhaps we could get around that, and give each teacher a bronze plaque to wear around his neck, reading: "This man donated to Harvard by John Doe '87. Enter here to grow in wisdom."