PEDRO URENA WILL LECTURE

Latin-American To Fill Eliot Norton Chair

"In recognition of the increasing importance of inter-American understanding, particularly in the field of culture," the University yesterday announced the appointment of Pedro H. Urena of the Dominican Republic as Charles Eliot Norton Professor of Poetry.

Urena, who is a well-known Spanish American poet, critic, and literary historian, will deliver a series of lectures in English on "The search for expression: literary and artistic creation in Spanish America."

University Comments

Commenting on Urena's appointment, the University stated, "The appointment of Urena is not only a recognition of the important place of South America in the modern world, but it also upholds the traditional distinction that is expected of the lecturer." Previous holders of the chair have ranged from the American poet, Robert Frost, to the Slavic musician, Stravinski.

The new lecturer has an international reputation as a critic and creator of literature. Eminent as an interpreter of Spanish America to the outside world, his own works have been translated into several foreign languages.

Instrumental in furthering education in his own country, in Mexico, and in Argentina, Urena has hold the post of general superintendent of education in the Dominican Republic and that of director-general of public education in the state of Puebla in Mexico. He was also the Dominican delegate to the University conference at Montevideo in 1931.