POLISH PAPERS SEEK TO STOP HITLER, DEFENCE GROUP FINDS

Survey Reveals New England's Poles Behind Defence Moves

The Polish newspapers of New England are fully aware of the threat of Hitler to this country and are in accord with all measures taken to combat it, according to a survey of the foreign language newspapers of New England, undertaken by American Defense, Harvard Group.

The Kuryer Codzienny (Polish Daily Courier) indicates that the attitude of Polish Americans is that of most Americans, with the same conception of freedom and democracy. Union of all Polish organizations in the United States with these ideals in mind is being undertaken by the Polish National Council of America. In its editorial columns this paper fully supports selective service and accuses all those opposed to conscription, as well as pacifist organizations, of being fifth columnists.

Urge Care in Voting

The weeklies, Trybuna (Polish Weekly News) of New Bedford, and Gwiazda (Polish Weekly Star) published in Holyoke, urge their readers to vote carefully in the coming elections to serve best the interests of America, Poland and Democracy.

Of conscription Trybuna asks its readers whether they consider it wise that Americans should wait for actual invasion before men are trained to fight. It urges willing cooperation with the government.

Gwiazda tells its readers that Hitler is exerting pressure in this country to prevent the success of selective service. The Nazis, it says, tell us that America has nothing to fear from Hitler, but they

Both weekly papers feel that there is danger of a Nazi invasion should Britain be defeated, and Trybuna asserts that the British Navy is our first line of defense.

Letters from Poland in the Kuryer Codzienny indicate that the Soviets as well as the Germans are trying to exterminate the intelligentsia in Poland. They report confiscation of property and deportation of professional men in Soviet Poland.

"Polish Women in German Poland" tells the story of rape, starvation, murder and attempted annihilation of Polish Peoples in districts occupied by the Nazis.