BOOTERS OPEN WITH 4-1 WIN OVER JUMBOS

Crimson Rallies In Second Half; Freshmen Also Win

Sparked by Captain Dave Ives and Herky Herskovits, Coach Jack Carr's soccer eleven came from behind to quell a threatening Tufts uprising with a 4 to 1 triumph in the season's opening tilt on the Business School Field, Saturday.

The starting Crimson lineup was untried and experimental since five important factors in last year's strong team were missing. This fact was quite evident in the first quarter with the Tufts squad taking advantage of Harvard's ragged play and doing all of the offensive work. The climax was reached when the Jumbos drew first blood with a score from the toe of Craig Scott in the closing minutes of the period.

Crimson Takes Over

The short rest between halves seemed to be all the Carrmen needed, for it was a surprisingly different team that faced the Jumbos in the third quarter. The forward combination opened up with a sparkling exhibition of passing and heading. The inevitable wasn't long in coming, for a perfectly executed scoring play starting from midfield ended with Herky Herskovits booting in the first Harvard score on assist from Prenny Willetts. The score was evened but the Johnnies were just getting under way.

In the fourth quarter the Crimson attack broke loose in all its fury. Headed by Dave Ives, Bill Edgar, Prenny Willetts, and last season's Freshman combination of Herskovits and Jack Calhoun, the team kept up the offensive almost every minute. A successful penalty kick by Bill Edgar put Harvard ahead and gave his teammates the needed confidence. It wasn't long before Jack Calhoun on a solo attempt kicked in another tally. Then as the last minutes were ticking away Herskovits and Calhoun settled the matter by joining together and blocking a kick by the Tufts' goalie, causing the last score.

The Freshmen followed the example of their elders by taking over the Tufts Freshmen 2 to 1. Scoring in the first and last periods, the Yearlings maintained their superiority all the way.