Draft-Age Students Do Not Need To Leave University to Register

Special Stations To be Set Up For 6,000-odd Men

None of the more than 6,000 draft-age Harvard students and Faculty members will have to leave the grounds of the University for registration on October 16, it was learned yesterday.

Special stations are being provided in different parts of the University, and students and officers from 21 to 36, no matter where they live, will be able to register there.

The registration cards, after being filled out, will be sent to the home towns of the individual registrants. Thus each person will be chosen for or exempted from selective service by his own local board.

Registration in Widener

Undergraduates will register in Widener Library between the hours of 7 o'clock in the morning and 9 o'clock at night, with Julian L. Coolidge '95, Professor of mathematics, emeritus; Robert H. Haynes, assistant librarian; and Clarence E. Walton, assistant librarian in charge of order department, as seniors registrars.

Estimates in the government hand-book give 20 minutes as the approximate time required for registration of each individual. There will be no University holiday, but students will be excused from absences resulting from registration requirements.

Volunteer Registrars Sought

The University is seeking about 300 volunteers from members of the Faculty and their wives to serve as registrars at the Harvard stations and also in the regular Cambridge city registration.

The Student Council, together with the Student Defense League, has issued a request for student aid as well, on October 16, when the city will be groaning under the double rush of draft registration and final registration for voting. Such volunteers, who by law will receive no pay for their work, will serve as interpreters or clerks, or may be sworn in as registrars.

Registration is not simply a matter of filling out a card. Registrars are required to interview each registrant, fill out personally for them the answers to every question on the form, and in addition make certain personal observations on the registrant.

Severe penalties are provided in the act for failure to register, for false statements in the interview, or for counseling or aiding others to evade registration; such actions may result in imprisonment for five years or a fine of $10,000.

Registration stations for members of the University other than undergraduates will be as follows: for Law School students and Faculty, at Austin Hall, under Livingston Hall, professor of Law and Vice-Dean of the Law Faculty as senior registrar.

For students and Faculty members of the Graduate Schools of Arts and Sciences, Education, Divinity, Engineering, Design, and Public Administration, at Memorial Hall, under Arthur B. Lamb, Erving Professor of Chemistry and Director of the Chemistry Laboratory, and Lawrence S. Mayo '10, Acting Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, as senior registrars