H.S.U. PAYS MONEY AND TAKES CHOICE

Only Enlisted Members Can Vote in "Most Important Meeting of Year"

The Student Union will hold its first membership meeting of the year at 7:30 o'clock this evening in the Lowell House Common Room, where the two rival factions, split on foreign policy, will battle for control of the organization.

To prevent disturbances at what it calls "probably the most important meeting of the year," the Executive Committee of the H. S. U. announced last night that only members who have paid their dues for this year and members of the Faculty will be admitted to tonight's meeting.

"Those wishing to join at the meeting are urged to come early, as it will be difficult to add them to the list of those eligible to vote once the meeting has begun," the Executive Committee said. "A Credentials Committee has been appointed to insure that only fair and ethical procedures are employed in enlisting members."

Most of the meeting will be consumed in a debate over the Executive Committee's report on foreign policy, which will oppose aid to Britain and advocate a hands-off policy on the European war. Alan Gottlieb '41, who resigned from the Union Sunday in order to be able to present his program more effectively at the meeting, will present a minority report.

Gottlieb's faction has endorsed the New Deal and President Roosevelt's candidacy and advocates giving all possible assistance to Great Britain and China short of going to war.

If his group wins in the foreign policy debate, Gottlieb will run for reelection as President of the H. S. U. Then he will urge the organization to withdraw from the American Student Union and to rename itself the Harvard Progressive Union