H.S.U. Votes for Aid to England By 3 Votes; to Hold Referendum

Legalistic Hogwash Ends Long Session; Gottlieb Scores Win

In a dramatic roll-call vote the Harvard Student Union last night endorsed material aid to England by a 74 to 71 margin, and adjourned in a maze of parliamentary red-tape.

In an attempt to press home their victory by getting their entire material - aid, pro - Roosevelt policy adopted, the Gottlieb bloc was balked by some complex procedural shennanigans and ultimatum from the Lowell House Senior Tutor that the meeting would have to end at eleven o'clock.

Three-Point Referendum

But before adjournment, the meeting voted to conduct a post-card referendum of the entire membership. Eighteen members were absent.

The referendum will cover the following points only:

(1) Material aid to Great Britain.

(2) Adoption of the entire Gottieb report, which differs from the Executive Committee's policy only in endorsing aid to Britain and the reelection of Roosevelt.

(3) Affiliation or disaffiliation from the American Student Union.

Disaffiliation with the national organization requires a two-thirds vote of the membership, and although Gottlieb may get his policy approved, there is no likelihood of his getting a two-thirds vote to disaffiliate. This may leave the Student Union in the paradoxical spot of being affiliated with a national organization with which it is in fundamental disagreement.

But presumably if Gottlieb carries the referendum, many of the no-aid group which has had a majority on the Executive Committee of the H.S.U. will resign, thus permitting the Gottlieb organization to get out of the American Student Union.

For a while last night it looked as if the Gottlieb wing would resign in protest against "obstructionist" tactics on the part of their opponents, but after a brief caucus it was decided to remain in the organization pending the referendum which must be completed in eight days