Business Board

By H. FIELD Havlland jr. and Business Manager

Nine out ten Freshmen, beginning their Crimson business competitions in past years have asked, "What will I get out of this if I become a Crimson business editor?" The answer is, "Beside odds and ends such as free passes to movies, free clothing, etc., you'll learn how to sell."

Although most members of the class of '44 will never have to sell floor wax or washing machines, chances are that every single one of them will have to sell himself some time. Winning friends and influencing people may be passe, but it is still important to know how to get someone to do something you want him to do.

The duties of a Crimson Business Board candidate are: (1) Learning the organization of a small but complete business concern; (2) meeting important Cambridge and Boston business leaders to convince them to advertise in the CRIMSON and (3) studying and practicing modern market research methods. Approximately two hours a day for eight weeks is all the time that is required of a candidate during his competition.

An experienced junior editor is in charge of freshman candidates and is always available to help them get adjusted to their new work. During the first week no one is expected to do any active selling. During the second week the real excitement begins with a carefully planned campaign for new advertisers. Each candidate begins selling under the tutelage of a full-fiedged editor. At the regular Tuesday "busy meetings." the editors analyse each candidate's work and critiests it construetively. A candidate is judged not only according to his total sales, but also largely according to sales "presence" and personality.

One factor which bothers a great many Yardlings is the time taken by the CRIMSON. A competition does, of course, mean that a man has little time left over for leafing. About five evenings a week, one of which will mean the entire evening from 8 till 12 o'clock, are required. Afternoons are left free, and candidates can use them either to study or to chase after stories or to fill their physical education requirements.

However, because the time for studying is limited, the candidates will learn how to concentrate when he is working and how to organize his work. In this way even three weeks of a competition teaches a Freshman as much about Harvard and how to get along at Harvard as a four-year course spent in the jim recesses of Widener.