MORIZE URGES RELIEF EVEN TO LANDS OVERRUN BY NAZIS

Refugee From France Talks At N.L.H. For War Relief

Contrasting his mission in the United States today with his appearance here in 1917 and '18 as the representative of a conquering power, Professor Andre Morize, Professor of French Literature, strongly urged the sending of war relief to nations overrun by the German armies, during a meeting called last night by the Student Council in the New Lecture Hall to further a drive for war relief funds.

Morize stressed the vast amount of human suffering caused by the war and urged that if relief were sent by nations outside of Europe, it would serve to encourage resistance to the conqueror.

If the experiment of food distribution should fail because the Germans confiscated supplies sent over, the whole plan could be stopped in a moment with a cable, he pointed out.

Professor Morize described some of the scenes of immense confusion and misery which he had witnessed during the last few days of warring France. French and Belgian refugees poured south with no idea of where they were going or how they would keep on living; thousands of soldiers wandered about without leaders, and leader were unable to find their men; the amount of suffering was indescribable, he said.

Lucien Brouha of the Department of Physiology spoke at the same meeting on the distress in Belgium because of the scarcity of food. Before the war 40% of the food consumed by the Low Countries was imported, he state, but much of this was unecessary due to over eating.

The Belgians are willing to endure any hardship to prevent help to Germany, he said. However, he urged that America as send relief based on a scientific appraisal of the minimum needed and after permission had been obtained from England.

$6,000 is the goal set by the Student Council in its war relief drive. The dealing is next Monday. Hanns Sachs, instructor in Psychology in the Medical School, who had been scheduled to speak, was unable to because of a severe illness.