Fourth Year Military Science Student Ousted By Department From Course For Nazi Views

Colonel Jay Investigates and Finds Dale Maple Unfit to be U. S. Officer

Because of his Nazi sympathies, Dale H. Maple '41, of Dunster House and Middletown Conn, has been summarily dismissed from the Harvard unit of the R.O.T.C. in which he held an officer's rank it was learned last night.

No Public announcement of Maple's dismissal has been made by Lieutenant Colonel Henry D. Jay professor of Military Science and Tactics, who carried on an extensive investigation of Maple's leaning before taking action to oust the Senior, but it is known that Maple has received a letter from Colonel Jay terminating his R.O.T.C. connections.

Colonel Investigates

When asked to make a statement concerning Maple's expulsion, Colonel Jay asserted that the action had been taken only after thorough investigation had convinced him that Maple was not fit material for an officer." Colonel Jay would not elaborate further. Maple had been in his fourth year of Military Science this fall.

The fact that he has been dismissed from the R.O.T.C. will not after Maple's standing in the college, for he will receive course credit for three years of Military Science Work. Consequently his expulsion will not prevent him from graduating this spring.

A Ritler sympathizer Maple first received publicity a few weeks ago when if was learned that he had been asked to resign from the Harvard German Club, a culture study because of his extreme Nazi beliefs.

Declarations such as "even a bad dictatorship is better than a good democracy" created such an atmosphere of ill-feeling in the Club that member's would no longer tolerate Maple's presence at meetings.

R.O.T.C. officials began investigating Maple as a result of the Club incident but hesitated to take action until definate proof of Maple's Nazi sympathies could be established in the minds of department heads.