LABOR, G. O. P., DEMOCRATS ASK FOR UNITY

100 Hear Minor Disputes Punctuate N.L.H. Meeting

In a New Lecture Hall meeting sponsored by the Faculty Defense group last night, common action toward a common goal was urged upon the nation by seven speakers. Occasional discordant notes crept into the program to mar the dominant theme of unity.

"The one topic upon which we can all unite at the present time is national defense," Colonel Dana T. Gallup acting Judge Advocate of Massachusetts, told a limited audience. "Resting upon the democratic principle that all must register and that men are chosen for service by their civilian neighbors, the draft answers the need for defense in a fair and efficient way," he said.

Representing the A. F. of L. Harry A. Russell, chairman of the State Federation, stated that he "doesn't want unity at the cost of labor. If that's what is meant by unity then let me tell you have unity." However, he emphasized, labor is willing to sacrifice equally with other parts of society to attain harmony.

Equal Loyalty Stressed

Oliver M. W. Sprague '94, E. C. Converse Professor of Banking and Finance at the Business School, criticized Russell for being "vaguely distrustful of the business class," and stated that by and large all parts of society have shown equal patriotism and loyalty to democracy. He agreed, however, that no one deserves to make higher profits from defense, as the General Motors Company did last year.

"The ordinary unemployed man or he man on relief says, "What's the difference between the U. S. and Hitler or Mussolini, just so they give us jobs'," pointed out Massachusetts C. I. O. President Joseph Salerno. "Economic unity is just as important as spiritual or mental unity."

Must Share Profits

Salerno emphasized that national unity could not be attained unless the profits of defense were shard by industry and labor alike, and stated that a recurrence of the astounding growth in the number of millionaires during the first world war could not be tolerated a second time.

"No American feels that compulsory unity can be possible here," Oscar W. Hausermann '12, President of the Boston Chamber of Commerce, said. He emphasized the necessity of maintaining the democratic way even during a period when unity is essential.

Joseph E. Casey, Congressman from Cambridge, concluded that only by making democracy work for everybody.

could unity be guaranteed.

Alan Gottlieb '41, President of the Harvard Liberal Union and Theodore 1. Frazier '41, President of the Harvard Willkie Club, spoke for the student body. Charles Mcllwain, Professor of Government, presided