Council Opposes Drill Corps, Plan, Recommends Math-Physics Course

Asks Special Training Course and Possible R.O.T.C. Expansion

Plans for an undergraduate drill corps received a severe set-back last night when the Student Council went on record as being opposed to "any form of military drill with the exception of a possible expansion of the R.O.T.C."

"The Council believes that any program of military training at Harvard should be confined to its technical or classroom aspects," the statement read, adding that "condemnation of military drill at this time is in complete accord with a large majority of opinion on this question."

At the same time the Council recommended that the Faculty set up a half course in Physics and Mathematics essential to advanced Army and Navy training.

Enlarge R.O.T.C.?

It was also urged that "if the War Department should decide to reverse its present policy and expand the teaching personnel in college R.O.T.C. corps," careful consideration should be given "to the fact that both units here were heavily over-applied this year, indicating a demand for more officers' training at Harvard than present facilities can provide."

In support of its proposal for a Physics-Mathematics course, the Council cited the heads of both R.O.T.C. units at Harvard, as backing the plan because it would "provide men interested ultimately in becoming officers with information regarded as a prerequisite for being a valuable recruit and for promotion."

The personnel and subject matter of the course, which the Council recommended be given for credit, and which may carry no tuition charge, is already being arranged by Ralph Beatley '13, associate professor of Education.

The statement followed a three weeks' canvassing of military training possibilities at Harvard conducted by a Council committee with Benjamin Barnes '41, as chairman.