LOWELL SCORES 6-0 OVER KIRRLAND

Duster and Winthrop Battle to 7-7 Deadlock on Rain-Swept Field

Seive-hipped Joe Lyford galloped 85 yards through the mud. In the fourth quarter yesterday afternoon to give the cellar dwelling Bellboys a 6-0 victory over Kirkland, while Winthrop and Dunster were battling to 7-7 tie.

Lyford scored for Lowell on a off-tackle smash that had been good for from three to twenty yards all afternoon soon after the Bellboys had stalled the Kirkland attack on their eight yard line. Otherwise the ball stayed in midfield throughout four periods with the two evenly-matched teams getting nowhere in particular.

It was the superlative blocking of the Bellboy backfield. Dean Morse, Jake Miller, and Bill Stainaker, that was the margin of victory over the Deason attack led by Jack Eberie and Bill McSweeney.

Winthrop grabbed the lead in the second period on a 12-yard pass from Jim Lynch to Abbot only to have Dunster come right back with a long pass and a forty-yard run to the count and end the afternoon's scoring.

Big Tom Broldrick, Dunster back, put on a one-man show most of the afternoon but was unable to break the deadlock. Ailing Jack Carpenter, hero of previous Puritan victories, came in the fourth period to try and bolster his team's offense but be also failed.